If you need to know more about alimony in Huntersville, we want to help.
The end of a marriage is a complex and challenging time. Alimony may be familiar to you because of movies or television shows, but the actual laws can be confusing. Here at NorthPointe Law Group, we have the knowledge and experience to guide you through these laws. Alimony is payment made by one spouse to support the other. These payments can occur during the divorce period or after divorce proceedings are complete. They can be a one-time lump sum or ongoing payments.
An alimony agreement can be reached outside of the court, but if a court decides on alimony, there are a variety of factors that will be considered, including the following:
- The income earned by each spouse
- The earning ability of each spouse (education, training, work history, etc.)
- What standard of living was established by the couple when they were married?
- Who has custody of any children, and will this custody inhibit the earning ability of that person?
- Was there any marital misconduct?
- The age of each spouse, as well as the emotional and physical condition of each
- How long did the marriage last?
- What property did each spouse possess at the beginning of the marriage?
This is not an exhaustive list, but it gives you an idea of the complicated process of determining alimony payments. The court must decide if such payments are appropriate, and if they are, it must determine how much will be paid and how long the payments will continue.
If you are going through a divorce in Huntersville, North Carolina, we can discuss alimony at length with you in the context of your unique situation and help you decide what your next steps should be. Our goal is to give you the personal attention you need during this difficult time, so call right away, and let’s get started together.