After a person passes away in Huntersville, there are many tasks the probate lawyer is responsible for while resolving the estate.
The probate lawyer plays an important role while resolving a person’s estate after they die. There are several general tasks the probate lawyer is responsible for during the probate process as they work in conjunction with the estate’s executor. These include some of the following:
- Collect any life insurance proceeds and distribute them to the appropriate parties and organizations.
- Appraise the decedent’s property quickly and in accordance with state-mandated timelines.
- Find and secure the deceased person’s assets.
- Advise the executor on how to pay any remaining bills of the deceased person and settle their debts.
- Prepare and file any documents required of the probate court.
- Determine whether any taxes are owed on the estate and manage the estate’s checkbook.
Those who die without a will are subject to having their estate distributed according to North Carolina’s intestacy laws. These laws vary from state to state, but a probate lawyer will usually be hired to ensure the assets are administered according to state law. While the tasks listed above will be managed by the probate lawyer, the attorney is bound by the intestacy laws, regardless of what the deceased person or their family members want for the estate.
If you need a probate lawyer in Huntersville, North Carolina, turn to us at NorthPointe Law Group for driven, compassionate legal services. Schedule your first consultation with our office today and discover the many advantages of working with our renowned firm.