After being in a motorcycle accident, you may feel hurt, confused, and angry. You may also experience an array of frightening emotional, physical, and cognitive symptoms, such as:
- Trouble sleeping and/or nightmares
- Increased irritability at situations you encounter on a daily basis
- Headaches and stomach distress
- Feelings of sadness and hopelessness
- Intrusive memories and flashbacks of the accident
Although many of these trauma reactions are common, it is important to remember that the trauma you experience following a motorcycle accident may vary completely from another accident victim. It is also important to keep in mind that recovering from the trauma of a motorcycle accident takes time. To cope with and recover from your accident:
- Make taking care of yourself a priority. Get enough sleep, exercise regularly, and eat a balanced diet.
- Try to maintain a daily routine. Stay involved and active and sustain a healthy balance between work and home life.
- Seek support from your friends and family members. Talk about your experience and what you are going through with those you trust.
However, if these symptoms of trauma persist for several weeks following the accident, you have a difficult time being yourself at home or work, or you start to use drugs or alcohol to cope with the effects, you may want to consider seeking professional help. In addition to this, hiring an attorney who specializes in motorcycle accidents can also ensure the recovery process goes smoothly and you are able to get back to normal life as quickly as possible following the accident. At NorthPointe Law Group, we would be happy to assist you in this regard. Contact us today for more information.